Witchy is a fantasy comic created by Ariel Ries. It follows a pessimistic witch and her struggle to break free from a rigid society where hair length defines your magical power, your opportunities, and whether you live or die.
In the witch kingdom Hyalin, the strength of your magic is determined by the length of your hair. Those that are strong enough are conscripted by the Witch Guard, who enforce the law in peacetime and protect the land during war. However, those with hair judged too long are pronounced enemies of the kingdom, and annihilated.
The story follows Nyneve, a young long-haired witch, who is haunted by the death of her father and the threat the Witch Guard poses to her own life. When conscription rolls around, Nyneve has a choice to make; join the institution complicit in her father’s death, or stand up for her ideals?
Content Warnings Edit
Fantasy violence, mentions of suicidal ideation in Chapter 3.
About the Creator Edit
Ariel Ries is an animation student and comic artist from Melbourne, Australia, currently based in Denmark. She's currently a student at The Animation Workshop. 
- 2015 Ignatz for Outstanding Online Comic — Nominated
- 2016 DINKy for Outstanding Web Comic — Nominated 
Critical Response Edit
- In a Webcomic Where Hair Indicates Magical Ability, One Which Hides Hers — io9
- The Most Interesting Comics of the Week: Witchy — Mental Floss
- Drawn to Comics: Witchy is Your New Favorite Webcomic About Teen Witches of Color — Autostraddle
- Interview with Ariel Ries, Creator of Witchy — Women Write About Comics
- Entangled in Magic: Should You Be Reading ‘Witchy’? — Comics Alliance
- Webcomic Spotlight: Witchy — All Comic
- Hair-raising magic with teen witches in ‘Witchy’ — CBR